Sunday, February 1, 2009

Power of a label

Took a while, but it finally hit us. The pull of name brands. When my older son was little, his pediatrician told us to indulge him w/ name brand shoes since they would minimize his slight outward turn of his feet. He mentioned that that was one area where we'd want to give in to pressure. My thoughts then, what pressure.. ? my kids wear what I buy.. maybe girls were more demanding.

Well, finally my older son asked for a northface jacket.. I normally buy their clothes at target or kohls. So, I thought I'd take a look at nf. The jacket he wanted was so ordinary.. lands end had a better deal for a better jacket. Excitedly, I showed him the "winter sale".. But no, he wanted nf, even tho' we couldnt really find his size. The biggest kids jacket would be a tad bit too small on the wrist. "You know, I need to be able to stand up to other kids with their nice clothes etc" "I can't be the worst dressed in the entire class" (all this when newspapers are full of articles about how teachers are funding some of the kids' weekend meals.. and I can personally attest to the tripling of prices of groceries in our area!)

Anyways, I buckled in after a couple months of negotiating.. I wanted to order from an online vendor.. But no, apparently these online vendors sold jackets that were fake.. the proof was that the logo was only on the front, not front and back!! the only place to go was to nf.com.. (more $$$) "now you know why this other site is offering it for a discounted price!"

I stood my ground, promising to return a single faced logo jacket. When it came, my son tried it on -once.. it was too short on the wrist as we predicted. And it had two logos!! "Aw.. I can't wear that!".. alright.. now I have to do an RMA to return the stupid jacket!

when little brother (smarty pants) pipes in "you should've known it was fake when it said "Northface" on both sides" Shouldn't it have said "Southface on one side and Northface on the other?"...

oh well there are some light moments to parenting after all.. how else can a parent come out of this experience still loving their children!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its amazing that kids are so brand-conscious now. My friend's daughters hate shopping anywhere but a popular mall! My son is too young for brand names, but he's perfectly clued in on his favourite characters in his clothing and accessories!

Lakshmi said...

my kids could care less when they were little about characters on clothes, backpacks, school folders etc.. esp. the older one.

He figured the characters get outdated and I would not update his lunchbox or tee shirt or whatever. He'd rather not be "out of fashion" than "in fashion" (his words).

After the NorthFace fiasco, he has returned to "not care" anymore :). We'll see how it goes.