Friday, February 8, 2008

chores

I am not a chore master.. god knows I've tried to be. My kids just ignore me or point fingers at each other.

why is he not doing anything huh.. pretending to do homework, that's what he is doing..
what about him, he is enjoying life on the sofa..
but.. he is doing so little, while I..

And the trash, forget it, neither will take out the (stinky -to them) thing!..

In the end rather than argue.. I give in. Once in a while, while I am doing dishes, I pick on whoever is within my eyesight to empty the clean dishes.

But, I realized that I am one of those needy persons. If i am cooking and the kids are around, they are asked to bring this from the refrigerator in the garage (unsavory task since it is too cold somedays) or get this/that for me etc. so much so, that the kids stay well away from me.. out of sight and hearing (easier nowadays with a itunes gizmo hanging from their ears)

hanh.. what did you say? you want what?

But I wonder if I should somehow persist - is doling out and ensuring that it gets done a parental responsibility? Am I somehow making my kids lazy by not assigning chores?

I have some friends who seem so much in control.. their kids have set chores like emptying dish washer, setting out trash and making their beds everyday, to vacuuming their rooms, cleaning out their rooms etc.

My kids share a bedroom - so I can't seem to say.. clean out your side of the bedroom -thereby creating a divide..
D makes their bed every morning and I pickup kids books andother debris strewn around when I get a chance, thinking they should be doing this..

Whenever D does chores, the kids seem to love hanging out and helping him. The older one gets paid in the summer to do the lawn - and ours is difficult to mow since it has swales.. He loves to shovel snow and can stay out with daddy doing that.. (doesn't last long when I shovel).

I wonder - is it a male bonding thing? hmm..

on the flip side, my older son will sit me down and make the family an entire meal of chappati flour in the shape of a cup or samosa, stuffed with veggies.. or one of his other concoctions. The younger one will bring me a foot rest, put my feet up, bring me a book to read and generally wait on me..

When I really need a room cleaned or something moved, they are ready to chip in and help.. like the marathon 3 hour cleaning that happened right before a cub scout meeeting I hosted, that I moved to the basement at the last minute since the kids were going to be painting.. both kids moved the earth to get us ready!

the older one has a stash of bulbs and will change out any he sees out without asking or being asked.. figured that out when we found a lot were popping. turns out he wasn't paying attention to the max. voltage, until D explained it to him.

still there is that nagging feeling - do regular chores really matter? Bah. it is too much of a chore to enfore compliance!!

1 comment:

Sujatha said...

I too find it difficult to get the kids to regularly do chores. Sometimes it becomes a bargaining tool - clean your room and then you can play. Empty the dishwasher and I will drop you at school. I think the important thing at this point of their life is to know how to do the task. I would love them to have the discipline to do the job regularly but I don't know how to do that without nagging them. :)

The nice part of them knowing how to do the task is that they sometimes surprise and pitch in when I least expect it.

It is interesting to see the dynamics of how a request will affect a child. In most cases, my younger one will do the job after asking once, unless he is watching TV or playing a game. For some reason, my older one feels like he is being punished when I ask him to do something. He is usually ok, if you are willing to do the task with him...but on his own, he definitely feels like either he is being punished or that he is getting stuck doing the job.