Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Raising Vegetarian Kids

For parents raised as vegetarians, it is common to wonder, should we raise our kids as vegetarians? Will they be able to eat when they are with friends or at restaurants? Is providing non-vegetarian meals a more practical option - school lunches would be less painful and grabbing a bite for them to eat before attending a dinner party is easier.


Practicality aside, are you comfortable with eating meat? If you and your spouse aren't, convincing your children to be vegetarians is really easy. Children are naturally compassionate to animals. Once they realize that a hot dog was once part of a pig, or that chicken nugget was once squawking around a farm, they really aren't going to want to eat it. We have been very frank with our children with the both the philosophical aspect of not eating meat as well as the health issues. We have posed the question of whether it is something they want to do, and they are quite confident with the decision as well as feel that it is their choice. I think the key is to make them realize that in the end it is their choice, because we won't always be their to monitor their food intake.

As for the practicality issue, it becomes a state of mind, most restaurants have vegetarian options, or are willing to put one together. It all depends on what you are willing to accept - I have had a meal of a head of broccoli and a baked potato at a steakhouse once. Makes for a good chuckle and it isn't the end of the world. Lunches have been very different experiences with my two kids. My younger son loves peanut butter sandwiches. He could have it everyday and not complain. Though he does enjoy having the vegetarian lunch options in school. My older son loves variety but doesn't care for the options in school. He likes having left over Indian or Chinese food for lunch. Or he will make noodles and add frozen vegetables to it. Not the greatest health option considering the sodium, but it gives him variety. Both my kids enjoy quesadillas and those I make cheddar cheese, and if I get my way I can sneak a few vegetables in it like onions, peppers, mushrooms, and spinach.

Any tips or issues you have experienced?

9 comments:

Geetha said...

Good topic! I realize that in the US, it is a choice to be vegetarian, while in India, it is a way of life. One just absorbs it. It was like that with my children, until now, that they are older, they can choose for themselves. While, the 12-year old once said, that he wished he were able ate meat so life is uncomplicated, he added the rejoinder that he cannot consider it anymore.
It helps that he has come in contact with Animal Rights activists recently to re-enforce his choice.
We struggle with school lunches too, which tend to be bread-heavy. Bagel/cream cheese, peanut butter without jelly.. We've tried filled pasta such as ravioli, which don't taste good cold.
One recipe that works is pasta cooked and rinsed in cold water with cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, olives, add some italian dressing and salad supreme seasoning. Refrigerate and pack next morning.
They also like left-over red potatos baked in spices.
Quesadilla are ok too..

Lakshmi said...

'nother idea.. pita pocket sandwich a la airplane food. stuff with lettuce, washed baby spinach, tomatoes (add tomatoes on the inside of lettuce so it doesn't make the pita soggy.), chickpeas sauteed in a little oil and spices, sweet onion.. olives.. sprouts and feta cheese. wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate. Next morning, pop it in the lunch bag. you can use hummus to line the pita inside if your kids like the texture.

Dustin Jolley said...

I just can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of your arguement. It's not about your kids wanting to be vegetarians, it's about you forcing them to! People like eating meat because it tastes good, not because it's good for you. Besides, meat is part of the major food groups. You can't force people not to eat meat, even your own kids, like PETA, Greenpeace, The Animal Liberation Front, and other Left-wing terrorist organizations want you to do. Besides, Jesus Christ himself ate meat all the time.

Lakshmi said...

Dustin Jolley,
interesting perspective. I think that is what being a family is about. Some families eat roast beef for dinner and some families eat bread at dinner.
Some families are vegetarian -not newly turned vegetarian - but culturally - where the family for 4+ generations have grown up without meat.
And being vegeatrian is tangential to religion - although the hindu gods could have been meat eaters too -being kshatriyas and hunters.
My kids are free to eat meat outside our house -but as a parent, I would definitely not condone it, at least in my presence. They may very well find it restricive and start to eat meat one day -more power to them.
But today, since they don't eat meat (I am happy to report it), I, like others, have to find some options for them.
Definitely I don't mean to slam anyone here.

Dustin Jolley said...

Nice try. But that's what the Left is all about, trying to force others to be like them.

Lakshmi said...

Dustin Jolley,
what can I say. I won't argue anymore on principle. You have every right to think your thoughts. although I'm hoping there's no forcing on your part..
I will never try to convince you or anyone else I am not responsible for to think like me.. may try explaining my right to think like I do at best.

a little different with my kids. I do try not to veer left or right - apolitical if you asked me. I hope to guide them until they are my responsibility.

Dustin Jolley said...

I respectfully disagree. Most vegetarians and vegans from what I've seen aren't too healthy looking themselves at all. Plus, with all due respect far Left organizations like PETA would like you to believe that being a vegan is the only healthy way too live. Well, they have their opinions and so do you, and so do I. I choose to eat meat and I like it. Don't force other people to hate meat just because you do. I still respect your opinion although I strongly disagree with it. Comes from my strong Conservative Republican views, I guess.

Lakshmi said...

Dustin Jolley,
No problem! I would react the same way too if pushed.

I've never eaten meat nor have my parents and grand parents - although we are not vegans - we do eat milk products and recently cheese. While I am not big, I'm not small :(

There are people who don't eat potato/onion since one kills the plant in the process or an apple since one prevents a new plant from propogating naturally.

Some swedes have given up meat after Chernobyl.

Way back when it was a geographic/societal necessity - where the climate did not offer agriculture round the year, perserved food and hunting kept people alive.

maybe the brahmins (traditionally teachers) were too busy/timid to engage in hunting. (I wouldn't generalize)

While vegetarianism for me has never been a choice, but just the way I grew up, I am becoming more aware of my role in the life I lead. I can no longer eat meat But with other things such as organic food, animal testing, free roaming animals etc, I (daily) make choices I am comfortable with -within my constraints.
My kids are active in school/competitive sports and are 96+ percentile in their growth according to their pediatrician.
As for politics, "the onion" is my favorite weekly.

Sujatha said...

Dustin, I have to agree with Lakshmi - being a vegetarian is a part of who I am. There is no forcing of values, either on my children or others. While I don't allow any meat to be brought into my house, I have no control of what my children buy for lunch in school. I have to admit that I am glad that my children feel very comfortable in being vegetarian and are grossed out at the thought of eating meat. We don't ban my children from being friends with other children who are not vegetarian, nor do we coach them advise their friends not to eat meat.

While I appreciate the efforts of PETA, with the awareness they have brought to others - their methods can be extreme. Though the awareness has brought a nice change in the grocery stores and restaurants, with the added vegetarian opportunities. But I like food with more flavor, so I really don't purchase many of the items. Plus some of the fake meat options really don't appeal to my family and I.

Lakshmi - looks like you are slightly more political than me! I don't even read the Onion - though I do get an update from co-workers every now and again. :)