Sunday, December 9, 2007

Xmas time

It's been a while.. Over the years, we've gone from getting the kids multiple presents to none at all. Last year, I was in a "cannot accomodate one more non-consumable in this house" mood. We bargained with the kids (now that S is off the Santa's sled) that I would contribute to their account instead of useless gifts. We bought some toys to give to toys for tots and felt good all around.
This year, early on, A wised up and said -Amma, btw, I want gifts this year. Of course now they are specific about what they want. They know ps2 games etc are ootq (out of the question).. so, they come by with pictures or dvr images of what they want.
At least there will be something under our tree this year to complete the picture.

2 comments:

Sujatha said...

In our house there is no spirit of giving, it is only the spirit of getting. That's all that matters to them. For the past two years I have been telling them there will be no Christmas for them. But I can't resist... I like to get them something. This time I focused on board games, hopefully make family game time more interesting.

Lakshmi said...

Sujatha, there is the spirit of giving from your end :).

It helps A esp now with the farm work. He has been trying to raise money for the animals.
S being in cub scouts helps too. We bought a ton of canned food to take to A's middle school, so that his class could win a pizza party. And of course S had to take an equal number for his class, even though there was no pizza or as he says "I don't like pizza anyways".
I tried to get the message that it is not about pizza or about being the best.. suspect the latter with A with his competitive spirit (not my genes obviously).
And S sometimes remembers to take a can to his pack meetings or cookies for the firemen during the holidays.
I usually involve the kids when we do any donating.. and of course the lecture about the poor in india, who they've seen first hand.
At least I feel good that I am trying.. how ever it ends up!
But we all have way too much stuff - toys, food everything but time or energy!