Friday, January 18, 2008

Memories of a child's childhood..

I still remember brushing my children's teeth first with a special baby toothpaste with a timble toothbrush, then with a cartoon toothbrush.
I was super glad when they finally both graduated to brushing on their own. But, I soon found I still had to supervise. So, my first question to them being: "Did you brush?" then, "Here, let me see".. and I proceed to sniff into their mouths (yes, really!).. I send them back up if I am able to see any scarapable piece on the surface or gum or if I am unable to smell the fresh mint smell of the toothpaste.
Anyway.. I leave early in the am.. and I cannot hope to communicate this to D, although to his credit, he does ask once in a while..
I'd been working long hours and one recent morning, I decided to take it easy and leave a little late. I left just as my younger one was coming down for his breakfast. Hearing the garage door open, he ran out in a hurry, gesticulating.
I rolled down the window, slightly irritated at the delay.. He comes up to the car and opens his mouth wide. I couldn't figure out what happened thinking maybe he had a cold sore or somthing. He then says: "Amma, I brushed, here check!"
I opened the door and came around to check his mouth and give him a big hug! I decided that parenting had its perks after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so cute!! I'm still waiting for the day when mine brushes his own teeth. Right now, I brush his teeth and my husband checks if I'm doing a good job!

Lakshmi said...

ha ha!
My younger one used to shed a bucket of tears before submitting to my brushing his teeth as a toddler. Mainly because he would start playing by the time I got to him and he didnt want to leave the activity (obviously, this is hindsight). Anyway, frustrating experience.
D once even said "leave him! Animals in the wild don't brush and they need their teeth for survival, why are we humans so obsessed?" :)