Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My promise to my kids

I will go a step further this year.. as a mother, my promise to my kids are:
  • Be an enabler.
  • Observe more and learn from them to help them achieve what they are capable of achieving, instead of trying to fit them into a mold made for others.
  • Make time for them. Be with them 100% when I am with them (not multitasking).
  • Cut down criticism to zero, instead giving useful feedback or offer solutions.
  • Take good care of myself, which will make me happier and thus they will be happy seeing me happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Applaud your critical self appraisal.

All points were valid, especially the last one. I’ve always felt that mothers tend to over-sacrifice in the interests of the family and then regret it later in life.

As I often tell my AhamudaiyaaL, if you are happy, we are all happy. Therefore please choose to be happy. This might take a conscious effort, but is very necessary.

Not an original thought by the way; picked from a Kannada song “Amma neevu nakkare, namma baaLu sakkare” (Amma if you smile, our life is sweet).

Sujatha said...

Bravo on my side too! I was definitely thinking along the same lines of what I should think about as a New Years Resolution - and my interaction with the kids was top of my list.

Lakshmi said...

10yearslate,
haven't heard the "AhamudiyaaL" in a long time :)
I agree. Kids get the much-needed security from happy parents... especially teenagers. Issues with kids are halved (at least) when kids are secure and know what is expected of them (my opinion of course).
more on parental rules..