Thursday, January 3, 2008

Traveling with the family

As soon as we plan a vacation, the countdown starts for, "when is vacation going to start". Not sure why we look forward to them with so much anticipation - especially when they can be the battle of the wills amongst everyone, including the adults.

We had one of those early morning flights, where we had to drag the kids out of bed at 5 am. By the time we reached our destination, rented a car and checked into the hotel it was about 1:30. Our next task was to decide where to eat. My 12 year old boldly stated that he is not going to eat unless we go to Subway. Of course my temptation with that remark was to deliberately go some place else. But since we were all tired and just wanted to eat something and no one else suggested anything else - we went to Subway.

After we ate, I spoke to my son about his attitude, my initial reaction and how disappointed I was with his attitude and lack of courtesy to others (my parents were with us too). I was surprised with his response - he apologized saying, he thinks he was a little cranky.

I was pretty impressed with his response, for him to know his self like that and recognize the issue.

I am not sure if I can schedule our flights around the kids waking times, but taking extra snacks to calm them and us down may not be a bad idea.

2 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Air Travel today can make anyone cranky. I can understand how hunger adds to the issue.

Lakshmi said...

Another technological gizmo that works for us is the ipod/mp3 player. They can listen until they tire of it and then we can borrow just the ear piece ;)