Monday, March 24, 2008

Chef du jour

The older one loves to cook. After all, his favorites are all male! Bobby Flay, Emeril Lagasse, Mario Batali, his daddy...

He started making small stuff as early as 7 or 8. Salads, frozen treats, peanut butter or nutella cookies. A few years ago, he started helping out with rotis on the tawa and recently puris in oil. He also loves to sit us all down and make a full meal from scratch.

I used to let him since I figured the kitchen needed to be cleaned anyway ;)

Nowadays, his cooking gets fancier -from cookbooks or his own concoction. His secret ingredients being potato, some spice mixture from the boxes I have in the fridge and his American twist - cheese and ketchup!

He has made atta flour and made cups out of them -filled with cooked potato, beans, carrot sabji - baked and topped with some cheese and ketchup. Plated one for each person - with a ring of ketchup, mint chutney etc.

Mostly edible ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell my little "big boy" to make it for us when he comes here in the summer!!

Lakshmi said...

both A&S are betting that Paati will win a rasam throwdown with Bobby Flay :)

Anonymous said...

oh wow!! that's so nice. Maybe I can look forward to put up my feet in a few years so my son can whip up my meals!!!

Lakshmi said...

Padmaja,
most definitely! hope it lasts on my end!
but it is a lot of work afterwards, cleaning and putting away stuff.