Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pulianga -Raw Tamaind pod

I found pulianga in the local korean store - in small bunches with the leaves attached. So I bought some home - mainly to show the kids the pleasure of eating the raw pod. Figued i'd make a pacchadi if I find a recipe for it.
The older one was more open to it.. so much so, that he asks Dad just as he walks in if he knew what it was. D tells him some tales associated with the tree - ghosts etc.
I remember the days at school, we made up ghost stories to scare other kids, scaring ourselves in the process, since at some point we started to believe in our creations.
We all had a laugh over "don't play in the veyl. play in the pulyamarthu neyl"
Anyway, they found the taste to be unique, but unpalatable to their palate. A can eat raw puli (the fruit of the green pod as I explained to the kids) once in a while. They can also devour raw mango with salt and chilli pepper.
all's not lost after all..
I munched on a piece and didn't really like it - tasted familiar but differeent. Guess that is the difference transportation and shelving at the store can make.
Segue to our summer patch.. :)

No comments: