Friday, March 28, 2008

Crow eating a stolen crispy vada

On my way back home last nite, there was a woman with two little boys - ages probably around 5 and 2. There were few people in the bus since it was late. The older boy asked me if I had a basketball in my backpack, to which I said:
"No, I have books"

He: I don't believe you, can I see..

Me: Sure.. I opened my backpack and gave him the "Trials of Life: Natuaral History of Animal Behavior" with lots of pictures of animals.

The kids were pleased and thumbed through the book, involving his mother and occasionally asking me some questions as to what those animals were..

We came upon a picture of a wolf eating a deer in its mouth. The kid asked his ma

Mammy, why is he eating the deer?

Mommy looked up, slightly surprised to see my face, while saying: "because that is his food.. Mmm.. deliciouso!"

The kid, reconciled, said: "because he is hungry mommy"

I realized the mother had seen my face reflect a level of disgust at this picture. And then I realized I used to cherish the memory of a mental picture of a crow eating a vada so much.

Mmm.. crispy vada fried by the old woman and sold on the roadside.. (although, it was something we were never allowed to enjoy!)

Promised myself that I would make some (no, a lot) crispy vadas soon for my kids (without the guilt) real soon!

No comments: