Wednesday, December 26, 2007

12 year old child

Well.. we decided to take advantage of the xmas break to take the kids skiing. We were going to leave on 22nd and be back on 24th in time for christmas eve when santa can still finish wrapping and fill stockings in time for opening gifts on the 25th.
Just before we left, we found that the PA ski slops north-west of NYC were closed due to a noreaster creating high wind conditions. In order not to lose the hotel reservations, we ended up rebooking to a closer location for the 23rd night and 24th night. That way, we'd leave late 23rd afternoon, sleep in and start skiing early 24th morning at 8am. The slopes were open on Xmas day until 10pm. We were planning to leave by 8pm or so.. so we'd be back in time for work the next day.
Anyway, as I was loading the car on the 23rd.. A checked his stocking and told his brother that Santa would have filled it by the time we came back. I thought to myself, that it was nice of A to tell his brother that even thought S knew about Santa. We left..
On the way back on 25th nite, the kids were fast asleep in the back.. tired from all the action. I suggested that D drop me off and continue around the neighborhood for about 5 minutes, while I do my wrapping and stuffing. But as luck would have it, the kids both awoke as we got off the highway.. They recognized the road we were on as being close to home and stayed up the remainder of the way.. D suggested that he and kids pick up some dinner for us, which they vetoed, saying they wanted to open their presents..!
A and S ran up to their empty stocking and looked under the tree totally disappointed. A even said, "Santa was all fake", ran up to his bed crying!
I'm thinking to myself.. "What the..! Don't they know!".. Shankar followed his brother.. I stuffed their stockings quickly.. dumped the unwrapped gifts under the tree.. and called them down.. saying "look Santa left stuff in the garage".. they didn't budge still crying..
I was miserable too.. D said that they were tired and would be ok..
and so the next morning.. both were up early downstairs.. waiting for us to come down and tell them whose was whose.. I told A that I'd ordered his snowboard by mail in early december and that it got stuck in Canadian customs. S says, but I thought it comes from North pole..! A says.. I don't care.. I am happy I got something!
They are both my babies after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That was something! Looks like A knows logically there's no Santa, but emotionally, still wants to feel appreciated enough to get the gifts!!!

Lakshmi said...

Or there is a little nagging feeling that "maybe there is some magic in the world" - that you've got to believe in order to see it.