Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Motivation

If you've read the post titled "Guns", you know the quandry I am in. At one point, my 12 year old says.. "will you buy me an airsoft (or is it airshot?? I don't remember anymore, but I am going to call it airsoft since I find it a better word!) if I get straight As in all 4 quarters. Now there are some kids who can easily do that.. but it is a struggle for my 12 year old. So, if he pulls it off, it would be a big achievement. I demur...
Well, Christmas and my younger ones's scouting trip to the BB gun target shooting range changed all this. He started asking for the airsoft for Christmas. I felt pushed without the "hope that he would miss at least one A to resolve my problems" (I know.. what kind of mom wants her son to bring in a B rather than an A..? one pushed in a corner).
So.. I counter with "Well, what happened to straight As in all four quarters?" to which he replies..
"Amma, you are not the only one who wants me to get straight As! Don't you think I Want it as well? I am working hard in order to get straight As for myself, so that I can get into a good college with scholership and I can bank or invest all the money you would have spent on my education!"
Motivated kid or a convincing argument..?
Have to chew on this one to figure out how to dodge this air pellet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm writing as a boy who hankered after a pistol (S&W no less from all those Louis L'Amour Westerns) with a no-violent-toys dad back way when.

I can tell the story now, but when I came overseas, I fulfilled this long hankering by buying a toy replica S&W at the ripe old age of 25 or so!!!

With boys (generalization, but true) cars, engines, guns will keep them satisfied all the time.

As a parent myself, I understand your concern, however I feel it is best gotten out of the way. Far all you know, he might decide it is not all it's cracked up to be.

Lakshmi said...

My older one watched Bob Vila when kids his age watched Barney. He still builds weapons that shoot out nails using sticks, wood and rubber band - you know to kill those robbers or to threaten his brother!
I have an overdose of boys right now.. minority in the house :)
There's zero tolerance (paranoia) here in neighborhoods, schools, whereever for gun shapes -toy or no-toy.
But then there is a gun culture or shooting ranges and hunting.
conflicting!