Sunday, December 9, 2007

kids fighting

My kids (boys) don't fight that much. Probably because I don't let them, which may be a bad thing. I intervene at the slightest sing of a fight.. an over-proective mother? I've protected the younger one from being taken advantage of, maybe keeping him younger in the process. I make up for the few times, he has been taken advantage of. If he is not included in a game, I buy one specifically to play with him. But I wonder.. should I just have gotten ear plugs or tuned into ipod and let them fi(ght)gure it out? At what age is it ok to stop protecting the little one?

1 comment:

Sujatha said...

My boys fight a lot. We tease the older one that the younger ones screams are like music to his ears. I am not sure if it is more of a game for them to see who will get in trouble first, so I usually find a reason to scold them both. I read somewhere that it is better to let the kids resolve their issues otherwise the younger one learns to play the role of the victim. I think the article even suggested locking yourself in the bathroom if you need to. My threshold for tolerance is usually based on noise level. I can't handle loud or repetive noises too well.

From another perspective, as a kid, I was really lucky. My brother was really nice. He didn't argue with me and pretty much let me have my way or negotiated in a way that got us to compromise. I joke now that since I had it so easy as a kid, I have no practice in arguing and don't do well in arguments/negotiations with people now.